Saturday, March 6, 2010

Been a while

Yeah this isn't so much of a review, but a much needed post for post's sake.

Just saw Almodovar's Broken Embraces at the Somerville Theater last night. I was excited to see a new film of Pedro's since Volver was supremely excellent. This film wasn't exactly as good, but still enjoyable. Fans of Spanish Fred Flintstone will like the film-within-a-film based on Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown (nods to the spiked gazpacho provide a few chuckles), but might leave feeling a little empty. The story of a writer who inhabits his own nom de plume starts out strong, but doesn't finish as exciting and Almodovar-y as you may expect. Overall, I still liked it; mi amiga didn't. She wasn't impressed with the story nor the acting. I think it's because she is hot and cold with Almodovar, where I am slightly biased in his favor. Check it out if you're a fan or if you want to see Penelope Cruz's....talents.

Last weekend I caught two movies I had been dying to see: The Informant! and Tsotsi. One is a great period piece/star vehicle for Matt Damon, and the other is a South African story of redemption starring an actor who looks like this guy. I was pleased with both. See the first film for a story of unexpected depth and subtly comic performances by many great comedians (Patton Oswalt, Tony "Hey Brother!" Hale, Both Smothers Brothers, Scott Adsit, Andrew Stanton, etc.). See the second film for a beautifully shot account of ugly people (characters) who try to grow as human beings despite their transgressions. Not for the weak of stomach, bee tee dubs.

Now this next paragraph is completely unrelated. It has to do with Collegehumor. I'll admit that I lived and died by this site while I went to Middle Of Nowhere University. They also introduced me to the comedy of this guy. But now I feel that many of it's "CH Original" videos have been extremely disappointing. What looks funny in a link ends up being underwhelming and just not unfunny. That aside, the video that most recently got me screaming is entitled "Actually Ironic." It's a parody (read:Cut-And-Paste Re-make) where the lyrics of Alanis Morrisette's hit single "Ironic" (which themselves are not actually of an ironic nature) are made to be ironic situations. Watch this video. Now I did think a few of the lines where humorous because of the fake Alanis trying to squeeze the verbose ironic-ifiers into the song, but this video is still dumb.

Why?

Because the whole point of the song "Ironic" is that it's full of lyrics that you expect to be ironic. However, when you listen to them closely you realize that NONE of them are ironic. Hence, a song called "ironic" has no irony in it, thus making it ACTUALLY ironic.
Give your brain a second to throw up. Once your done, keep in mind that I realize that this video was just an excuse to make a pretty cheap shot joke that people in our generation will relate to. But it doesn't excuse the fact that what these doofuses are making fun of is null and void because of the intentions of the Canadian chanteuse who wrote it.
Am I going to crazy over this? Yes. Why? Oscars are tomorrow. I have to gradually build up all the anger that I'll be spewing during the ceremony. Getting a head start.

No comments:

Post a Comment