Thursday, January 15, 2009

DROP BOX: Slumdoggy-style, MetHallica

Author's Note: I'm gonna try to start doing what I call a "Drop Box" (trying to keep the Library theme) where I post small musings and notes, etc. in between larger reviews. I'll try to keep them as regular as possible.

On a rendezvous with a faithful companion, I was finally able to see Slumdog Millionaire, aka That Indian Quiz Show Movie That Everyone Is Clobbering With Awards. To be honest, I think it lives up to the hype. Danny Boyle was able to tastefully stylize the involving story without calling too much attention to the quick cuts and dropframe sequences. This being said, there is one gigantic, curry-flavored cheeseball line at the end that sours an otherwise excellent movie. If you end up seeing it (which you should), you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

In music news, metal gods/my personal music heroes in middle school Metallica are going to be inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of fame this spring. As much as James, Kirk and (ugh) Lars are no longer a prominent part of my musical taste, I am glad to see them get their due. Despite Bob Rock trying to lose them their fanbase, the whole "hate Napster/love money" debacle, and recruiting a crabwalking Neanderthal to pound on the bass, Metallica really kicked some serious ass. After listening to "Master of Puppets" for the first time in a while, I remembered exactly how much serious ass they could kick.

Congrats to the other nominees:Run-DMC, Jeff Beck, Bobby Womack, and Little Anthony & The Imperials.

2 comments:

  1. this should still exist. also, it shuld have more followers, and one of them should be not me

    ReplyDelete